Donnerstag, 8. Mai 2008

Borland Object Vision 2 ...

At the moment everybody write about the Embarcadero-deal.
I have a big advantage: I make Oracle-trainings and demonstrate since 2000 or so the products from Embarcadero in the trainings and can pronounce the word correct ...
I'm happy with this new constallation! I think with this combination we'll get in the future a lot of powerful tools for db-work, Delphi for writing db-applications, db-admin and developing tools and this remembered me on a discussion with Nick Hodges in autumn 2006 in Scotts Valley (a sunny day in the forest of northern California). I tried to explain that Delphi is like a swiss knife, you can use it for every type of restaurant, picknick, survival-tour and so on. But if you go to a steak-house or a fish-restaurant (e.g. in Santa Cruz on the coast) you'll get special knifes and not a general knife... With this deal I hope we'll get from Code_and_Database_Gear some special (db-)knifes to create db-oriented application. And Delphi is and will be the best db-oriented IDE. With this IMO it's possible that many developers stays AND new developers will go with Delphi in the db-future .... and I hope to see this year a DBArtisan-Version for BlackfishSQL ....

But back to the topic.... Anyone remember "Borland Object Vision" ??

I reorganize at the moment my homeoffice and found a great treasure: Object Vision from Borland 1992. It's a long time ago and on the package is the old address from Borland included.
I tried to install it on my XP-workstation and, yeah, it works like in the good old past. Now I have a QuadCore with 3 GHz in 1993 I had a Pentium Pro (I think so) with 200 MHz. No
compare with the speed now....
I loved this application, my way from the DOS-Pascal to the Windows Programming. David I had forgot this tool in his 25-years-blog ....

Okay, you can't compare this with a real IDE or a programming language. The result for the customers was a form-oriented application with Paradox in the Background and a event-oriented developement. Don't forget: 1992, over 16 years old, older then Delphi 1 on Windows 3.1x

Here from the example-folder some impressions of Object Vision. You'll see the events-area, the paradox-engine (not BDE, older ....).


6 Kommentare:

mosava hat gesagt…

Hello, I wrote a professional program with Object Vision 2 a few years ago and it served me perfectly.
But I have a new computer with Vista Home Premium, and I can't use it anymore: the program keeps on asking for share.exe ??? Any idea how I can solve that? Thank you.

mosava hat gesagt…

Hello, I wrote a professional program for my own use with Object Vision 2 a few years ago and it served me perfectly on Windows 95 and XP.
But I have a new computer with Vista Home Premium, and I can't use it anymore: the program keeps on asking for share.exe ???

Thank you.

thomas pfister hat gesagt…

Hi,

I've made the hardcopies in a VMWare-machine with Windows 3.11 ... not direct on my Vista Ultimate....
But I think your problem is the UAC and try to disable this feature in your machine.

:-) thomas

mosava hat gesagt…

Hello Thomas!
Another problem with ObjectVision: new printer (HP 5460), the printed form is a mess...
Am I supposed to redesign all the forms?
Thank you.

Chaos hat gesagt…

Hi Thomas

I just found my old copy of Object vision's manual but I don't find the floppies anymore.
I remember a few programs I wrote with it and would like to start it at least once more.
Do yuo think is possible for me to receive a copy of it?
regards
Alessandro

mosava hat gesagt…

Hi alessandro.
Send me your email.
Mosava
mop62843@mail.telepac.pt